Amir Azarmi wrote:
> I have 2 Apple Macs and new Opensolaris machine, the hostname of which is
> 'homer'. I have tried to switch on mDNS on the Opensolaris machine (homer) by
> enabling the multicast service on:
>
> svcadm enable network/dns/multicast

On recent OpenSolaris builds I believe the above service is enabled by default.

> and editting the /etc/nsswitch.conf file to contain:
>
> hosts: files mdns dns
> ipnodes: files mdns dns

You can copy over the file /etc/nsswitch.dns rather than edit the file.

> however when I check it by pinging homer.local from the Macs without success.
> I also tried
>
> getent hosts homer.local
>
> and was expecting to get t
>
> 192.168.1.3  homer.local
>
> but instead got
>
> 127.0.0.1  homer.local   localhost   loghost
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong?

Could you post the output of the following commands?

* '/sbin/ifconfig -a' on the OpenSolaris machine
* 'dns-sd -Q homer.local 255 1' on Macs

For networking questions posting to networking-discuss or nwam-discuss would be
better.

Rishi