On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Martin Bochnig <mar...@martux.org> wrote:
> That's not the problem.
> The problem is, that 5.9, 5.10, 5.10.1 and 5.11 are only symlinks to
> 5.8 most of the time, inside the csw repo.
> For simplicity it would have been sufficient to concentrate only on 2
> build targets, out of the complete set: 5.8 and 5.10.
> _Every_ package should be available as 5.8 compiled version and 5.10
> compiled version.
> Then 5.9 could be a symlink to 5.8, and 5.10.1 as well as 5.11 (or
> later haybe higher) symlinks to 5.10.
> In that scenario tons of redundancies could be avoided on 5.10 or higher.
>
> (E.g. all gtk and gnome-stuff could be linked against the default gtk
> and gnome that ships as part of Solaris since Solaris 10. Also
> consider stuff in /usr/sfw, such as gcc and so on.)

And beyond that a few API's, kernel interfaces, system libs, drivers,
as well as major new technologies such as Zones, ZFS, DTrace, also
RBAC and Trusted Extensions which are now part of mainstream Solaris
(rather than TS 8), Xorg (instead of Xsun) etc etc etc  .... : All
were not available on Solaris 8 (even those that were, did not ship as
part of it) .
At the time when I quit Blastwave this would mean, that if a packager
wants to contribute and if he suggests whatever new package he would
like to build, add to the repo and maintain, IF that software depends,
interacts with or builds on any of the past_Solaris8_FCS (February
2000) technologies, the packager would have no chance to get his
favorite app into csw.
Presumably it is still like that. Solaris 10 Express is publically
available since September 2003. Solaris 10 GA was released in January
2005. We have the 8th or so update meanwhile, yet csw is still
Solaris8 centered. What cannot work on Solaris8_FCS cannot get into
csw. What a foolish policy.

Obsolete stuff, broken RAS, is resulting from this, if a user dares to
use a newer platform than Solaris 8.
It is a good thing to continue to suppport Solaris 8, where it makes sense.

But packages in the 5.10 branch should have been built natively on
SunOS 5.10, not 5.8 .
And new technology-based software should not be denied entry into csw,
only because it cannot work on 5.8 and hence no entry for that pkg
could be made in the 5.8 branch.

Meanwhile it is quite late already.
So, does it still matter?

%martin