Hello,

given that OpenSolaris 2008.11 had very significant improvements (great work
indeed :)) in hardware support on current laptops, I am wondering what can be
expected with the upcoming 2009.6 release. For my case (Thinkpad R61), these
are the most interesting issues:

1. Support for Fn-Fx hotkeys, most of which are acpi-related. In Linux, there
is a very powerful kernel module named thinkpad-acpi which manages these
event-action linkages in concert with the acpi daemon
2. Support for additional keys (speaker volume etc.). In Linux these can be
simply mapped to standard X functions via their key codes in the xmodmap file,
but this mechanism does not seem to exist under Solaris (or does it?)
3. Support for fingerprint reader; in 2008.11, the device is listed as
supported (!), but how to actually read fingerprints and, most importantly, how
to use them for login authentication has remained a mystery for me :( Again,
this is a well-documented feature in Linux...

Overall, I would very much like to make (Open)Solaris my main OS, but (being a
laptop user) I'm afraid I still have to wait for more complete hardware
support. But it is certainly getting closer ;)

Thanks in advance for any pointers
Oliver