On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Edward Ned Harvey
<sola...@nedharvey.com> wrote:
> I wonder if this is just something people design for and live with?  Or if
> perhaps there’s a better way to config my system, that somebody would care
> to suggest?
>

> I have the following ZFS filesystems:
>
> /share
>
> /share/users
>
> /share/users/eharvey
>
>                 (and a bunch of others)
>

> I shared /share via Samba.  I mounted it from my windows laptop, and I’m
> browsing around working on stuff.  I screw up some file, and I want to
> restore from snapshot.
>
> ·         In netapp:
>
> o   I would just type in “.snapshot” in any subdirectory to access the
> snapshots for that directory
>
> ·         In zfs:
>
> o   You go into the “.zfs” subdirectory, but you can’t do this from any old
> subdirectory.  The “.zfs” subdirectory only exists as the direct child of
> the mountpoint.
>
> o   I cannot restore my files by going to /share/.zfs because that
> filesystem doesn’t contain “eharvey”  … That is, /share/.zfs only contains
> an empty subdirectory mountpoint “users”   and the same is true for users.
> The directory /share/users/.zfs only contains the empty subdirectory
> “eharvey”
>
> o   Given the above two points, the only correct way for me to access my
> snapshots is precisely /share/users/eharvey/.zfs   The only correct answer
> is to browse to the hidden “.zfs” subdirectory of the deepest level
> subdirectory mountpoint in the path.
>
> o   If you’re on a terminal and you know what you’re doing, you can figure
> out where the correct location is for the “.zfs” subdirectory.  But if
> you’re just browsing via CIFS, there’s no way to know.  You have to guess
> and check, starting with the deepest level and working your way upward until
> you find it.
>

> Is this the same behavior you guys have?  Are you doing something smarter in
> your architecture than what I have done already?
>

> Thanks for your help…

I believe samba has shadow copy support when the backing filesystem is ZFS[1]
Also, solaris cifs server has support for shadow copies since build 106[2]
That is the way to go with CIFS if you're using Windows clients imho.

nacho
[1] http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=267579
[2] http://204.152.191.100/wiki/index.php/What%27s_New_With_Solaris_CIFS