--- On Thu, 6/11/09, Shawn Walker <swal...@opensolaris.org> wrote:

> From: Shawn Walker <swal...@opensolaris.org>
> Subject: Re: [osol-discuss] Regarding GCC
> To: dcla...@blastwave.org
> Cc: opensolaris-discuss@opensolaris.org, "Karel Gardas"
> <karel.gar...@centrum.cz>
> Date: Thursday, June 11, 2009, 2:06 PM
> Dennis Clarke wrote:
> ss, I can only assume you mean this :
> >
> >   Sun Studio Express - March 2009
> Build
> >   http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/downloads/express/index.jsp
> >
> > Is this the *exact* same thing that is available for
> OpenSolaris? I
> > thought that the OpenSolaris/Nevada ON bits were still
> to be built with
> > Sun Studio 11? Really, what is the standard? In truth
> I do not know.
>
> The ON situation or projects that have special requirements
> are a whole "different ball of wax."  I had forgotten
> about that whole mess ;)
>
> But, in general, for most users compiling software,
> especially FOSS, they'll have better luck with the newer
> compilers due to enhanced gcc compatibility and other
> fixes.  That's why I don't see a reason to use Studio
> 12, and would strongly recommend the express version instead
> to any users wanting to compile software on 2009.06.
>
> Cheers,
> -- Shawn Walker

I agree on Sun Studio Express 03/09. In using it for a few months now,
it is actually an excellent C/C++ compiler although consider 'beta' at the
moment. A few quirks, but workarounds come in handy.

You don't need Sun Studio 12 if you have a OS capable of installing the
Express edition successfully. Just make sure you are consistent in compiling
your C++ code with the same compiler (i.e. as much as possible).

Otherwise, you may end up with a toothache of sorts...

By the way, review those Phoronix testing scripts using Sun Studio or GCC.

~ Ken Mays