thanks for the replies, gentlemen. yes, the 'outlier' issue is really the crux
of it. while this isn't bad motherboard, neither is it enterprise-grade. i'm
reasonably happy with the performance, so i really should just buy a spare of
the mobo, and for the most part that covers me. sure - it's possible if my
existing motherboard died, it could take the cpu and ram with it - but i think
that's a really remote possibility, it's never happened to any machine i've
ever worked with before.

yes, i need to get a good backup solution in place. the three way zfs provides
awesome data integrity (and i have automated snapshots occurring as well), but
it's not enough...

thanks again.