> It's now a matter of time before programmers figure
> out how to really take advantage of the hardware, OS,
> and libraries.

That's the part I really dread.  I've spent the last six years in Europe, and
what I've seen there was a disaster enough to make one's hair stand up on one's
head.

There are so few good people left, most of the "programmers" are completely
incompetent, from incorrectly linked libraries, to using GCC, to package
abominations; and the software, even coming from the United States, is not much
better.  It's like all the UNIX people vanished into thin air, and were
succeeded by cheap Linux and Windows "oh why must I support this Solaris thing"
people.

> In many ways, Sun is way ahead of the
> curve and unfortunately, the market wasn't ready.

That's true.  But that's not what really busted Sun.  What busted Sun was
pricing.  Pricing and pricing alone.
Times have changed, but Sun stayed stuck in the beginning of the '90s of the
past century.  They, even the engineers, stubbornly kept repeating
"reliability, availability, serviceability" mantra - at exorbitant price
premiums, except that the market had moved on to cheap i86pc Opteron and intel
powered clusters, which can be up to 100x cheaper than what Sun was trying to
sell.

And that's why eventually, I became firmly convinced, that unless Larry makes
SPARC systems dirt cheap, as cheap as Opterons and intels or even cheaper, I
believe that SPARC days are numbered. Perhaps not right away, but if sparc
hardware doesn't become as cheap or cheaper than i86pc hardware, it'll be the
last nail in the coffin.

Because the market has already voted with their Euros/dollars/francs.