>I'm not certain what the right way is to update a zone.
>But maybe someone else knows.

I'm not an expert on this, but I believe the non-global zones will update
themselves as long as you "detach" them before you do the pkg image-update.
Here is a link that shows how to do it using OpenSolaris 2008.11:

http://blogs.sun.com/jerrysblog/entry/updating_zones_on_opensolaris_2008

That was a big bug fix when it first came out, but still in my ignorance, I
hosed a bunch of my zones on one of my Indiana 2008.11 boxes when I didn't
detach the zones before doing a pkg image-update (hopefully you can read the
article and not have to suffer as I did).

To show the difference between older OpenSolaris and newer OpenSolaris, here is
a blog from one of the guys on the zones team about the state of zones over a
year ago back in OpenSolaris 2008.05 (they were in bad shape back then):

http://blogs.sun.com/dp/entry/a_field_guide_to_zones

Another important caveat / missing piece that I noticed is missing from all of
the OpenSolaris Indiana Sun blogs and documentation I've looked at so far, to
do resource caps on CPU and RAM memory in OpenSolaris the way he's doing it, I
think you need to install the SUNWrcap package first like this:

# pkg install SUNWrcap

I couldn't get resource capped zones to install in a brand new Indiana install
and it took me a week to figure that one out.