Andrew Watkins wrote:
I think this is a great shame since OpenSolaris Indiana 2009.06 is not ready to replace Solaris. I think many users are using SXCE since they want the new features of OpenSolaris, but Indiana is not ready for that job.

Here is the reasons including my real bugbear!

- Automated Install (ONLY works with certain DHCP servers)
I use SXCE on many desktops and use Network JumpStart and/or a DVD Jumpstart image for this, since Jumpstart SXCE/Solaris offers many ways to install a image. AI only offers one way and if you have a non compatible DHCP (Microsoft) then I can not install Indiana....

That should not be true, as there is nothing proprietary that we're doing with the Solaris DHCP server to enable AI installation. If you can actually prove the above statement, then please file a bug. You undoubtedly need to do some manual configuration of the MS DHCP server to make it work, and I will agree that we haven't documented what that might be, but that's something the community could help with and contribute to the documentation effort. We *will* be supporting the ISC DHCP server in a future release.

- No DVD image of OpenSolaris Indiana
  I know it is on the way but!

What is the problem you are trying to solve with a DVD image?

- No text Console install process
  I am not talking about tty

As noted in other posts, this is in development and will be ready for the next OpenSolaris release; probably will be in development builds about the time that SXCE is discontinued.

- Sparse zones

I'd encourage engaging with the Zones community to sort out what the future of this will be.

- No clear method of upgrade from Solaris -> OpenSolaris

There will be some upgrade options provided for Solaris 10 -> Solaris Next, but there are no plans to do so for OpenSolaris yet.

Dave