Kewl Eugene wrote:
Maybe I'm doing it wrong. What I did was

1) Boot the OpenSolaris 2009.06 media I got at the O'Reilly Open Source
Convention a couple of weeks ago on my HP s3123w Amd64 Desktop.

2) Installed OpenSolaris onto a Sandisk 4GB USB Drive

3) Tested the Sandisk USB drive and it successfully booted from USB on the HP
s3123w

4) Tried the USB drive with my Fujistu P8010 and Dell 15n/1545 and it failed

5) Tried the USB drive with the Toshina A605-P210 and it failed.

This will fail because the device path to the root file system will be different on each system than it was on the system where you did the install (a ZFS boot limitation we're hoping to correct in the future). You'll need to use the live CD itself, or a live USB image (available as a download, though you need to run OpenSolaris or Windows to correctly image it to the USB drive) to be able to test against a variety of machines.

Dave