How much memory does each box have ?
  I recall a bug were the adaptec driver doesn't load on a box over
  a certain amount of memory.

8 Gb in the box where it will not load. Is there a workaround. I will try
dropping the memory to 2 or 4Gb to test.
lgrpinfo
lgroup 0 (root):
        Children: none
        CPUs: 0-3
        Memory: installed 8.0G, allocated 1.1G, free 6.9G
        Lgroup resources: 0 (CPU); 0 (memory)
        Load: 0.0101
        Latency: 0

  That and is each box booting 64bit kernel ?  The output of isainfo
  would say: 'amd64 i386' if its running the 64bit kernel.

The same thing happens w 32 or 64-bit kernel. One thing to note though in both
cases only a 32-bit cadp driver is available.