On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 2:46 AM, <casper....@sun.com> wrote:

>>Ghee Teo wrote:
>>> So what is your 'supports' for doing the things the ways you are doing
>>> that are supposed to be helpful to Solaris users to migrate/upgrade to
>>> OpenSolaris. Have you considered also the hundreds of ISV for Solaris
>>> will now to adapt to the new paradigm?
>>
>>I can't answer that as I wasn't part of the initial design team, if you
>>want to discuss the design of pkg(5), I suggest posting on pkg-discuss.
>>
>>With that said, every design decision that I'm aware of since I joined
>>the team has been made with the full input and due consideration of
>>multiple, interested parties.  The popularity of the OpenSolaris 200x
>>releases vs. that of the Solaris Express releases in terms of usage
>>speaks for itself IMO.
>
> That's not entirely true; quite a few people argued for "scripting at
> install" and they were denied as there was clearly not a discussion
> but more of a "this is the plan and we're not changing it".
>
> These people have unsubscribed because they felt there was no actual
> discussion taking place.
>
> I think that our large customers are underrepresented in OpenSolaris and I
> fear that the way AI-Install works complete disregards our most important
> customers, at least, that is what some of them say to me.

I've also heard similar concerns from colleagues at other places.

A common requirement (especially at larger places) is that there
should be no opportunity from install->'done' where the system is
accessible in a state where it is not updated to their standards
(usually for security or audit purposes).  This means that during the
install, there must be a way for security related settings to be
applied, third party packages installed, as well as certain files
altered (such as /etc/security/policy.conf) before anyone can possibly
login.  I saw it at previous places I've worked, and others have
similar requirements.

Trying to meet this via multiple reboots is simply never ever
acceptable. If anyone disagrees, please document for the community the
process used to install a fully populated E25k domain, meeting the
above requirements, in under 2 hours (including _all_ reboot times).

I think showing examples of how AI can accomplish similar levels of
install complexity currently seen with Jumpstart would go a long way
towards addressing people's concerns.