On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Martin Bochnig <mar...@martux.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:05 AM, Shawn Walker <swal...@opensolaris.org>
> wrote:
> > Vassilis Boulogiorgos wrote:
> >>
> >> It seems absurd to me that you cannot use the cheap 1.5TB & 2TB out
> there
> >> with ZFS. This will have me switch to one of the Linux distros, despite
> >> hating the idea of using something else than ZFS.
> >
> > You're wanting to use a >1TB device on a 32-bit system.  To get the best
> > performance out of ZFS, you really want a 64-bit system.
> >
> > You can use >1TB devices just fine on a 64-bit system with ZFS.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Shawn Walker
>

> Hi, actually ZFS has nothing to do with it. Only VTOC.
> He has 2 options: Either manually defining a VTOC in the format
> commant. Then he might not be able to use all blocks that this disk
> offers, but at least he can use the disk right away (smaller size
> useable).
>
> Or he calls format -e    (expert level) and then labels the disk with
> EFI rather than VTOC.
> I do not mean labelìng one VTOC slice as EFI, but the entire disk
> (cNtNdNp0).
>
> Afterwards just create a zpool and later on add filesystems or
> zvolumes of your choice.
> Drawback: Disk not bootable, except computers firmware supports this
> (which is unlikely).
> Benefit: Disk can then be used on multiple ARCHs independently of Byte
> Ordering (such as on SPARC, ARM, x86, System-z and one day PowerPC).

Hi Martin,

This is interesting, as at least it will allow me for the time being to have
a usable configuration.
However, going for your 2nd option (tweaked EFI disk label) are there any
pointers on how to achieve it?

I tried using rmformat (on a 64-bit OpenSolaris), gparted with GPT partition
type (on Ubuntu 9.04, 32-bit) and Disk Utility with GUID partiion table (on
Mac OS X Leopard), but all of these utilities allow only a "label" and
nothing more. As you point out, creating a small partition inside the
partition table does not solve the problem.

Appreciate your help,
Vassilis