Thanks for getting back to me John:
  This may be a different issue. I have noticed that if I do not login
to the laptop console but login through a ssh connection and transfer
large blocks of data I do not see any problems. As soon as I login the
network seems to die! I am running a memory test now on the box and will
update you as soon as I have more information.

Thanks
mike