> solarg wrote:
> > Shawn Walker wrote:

> modules.
> parameter 1.23 at
> >>>>
> /usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/i86pc-solaris-64int/XSLoader.pm
> line 91.

> reported a similar
> >>
> >> And to be clear, that package damage is likely the
> result of using CPAN
> >
> > are you saying that it is a bad practice, adding
> modules in the bundled
> > perl? the app here is koha (www.koha.org) and a
> huge use of perl
> > modules. I'm one of the two people running this app
> in opensolaris in
>
> If those modules install under /usr/lib/*, yes.  If
> you can have CPAN
> install and deliver those modules under
> /usr/local/perl5 ... or perhaps
> /opt/perl5/locl or some other directory that doesn't
> belong to an
> existing package, then you should be ok.
>
> > the world. Does it mean that this is a bad choice
> and have to return the
> > linux way?
>
> Not sure what you mean.
>
> One thing I'd like to see someone do as a community
> project is to create
> a patch for the CPAN module that has it create IPS
> packages for them and
> then install them as IPS packages :)
>
> That would be a little more difficult now since no
> on-disk format
> exists, but still certainly doable.

When using CPAN modules I normally use my own perl installation. It doesn't
matter if it's opensolaris, solaris 10 or linux. Otherwise module dependencies
are really difficult to work out. How to properly create an IPS or SYSV package
for DBD::Oracle?

Another problem is CPAN dependency checking: Some module needs a newer version
of an existing packaged perl module. What would be the proper way of installing
through the system packaging system?

No such problems with a self compiled perl.

Cheers,
Michael