What happedned....

After the installation:

-       the GNOME background is black, not a single icon appears

-       the filemanager repeatedly dumps core or eats up one CPU
        I have a dual core system so the load is 50%

-       the KBD and mouse input is not usable:
        It works for a second then it mounse/kbd input hangs
        for aprox. 2 seconds.

-       Suspend/resume still kills the current login session
        This is a problem I reported in Spring already.

I have the impression that since about a year, when the transition
to the new X server happened, many bugs have been introduced but never
fixed.

Note that I did not yet install blastwave packages, for this reason I cannot
tell whether xine works again. It did not work on build 117 as many fonts have
been missing.

What is the background of these problems? I understand that a transition to a
new Xorg may cause problems for 3-4 months but for a year?

How can I get a usable installation again?

I should mention that I had a working suspend/resume aprox. a year ago but
upgraded in order to get a better version of the Intel WIFI driver.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       j...@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)