r.g. I feel your pain.

I'd be careful of that board.  I have OpenSolaris installed on a box using a
similar AMD chipset (780G in a Gigabyte MA78GM-S2H).  It works fine with
2009.06, but not with either of the two releases prior to that.  And not with
the recent development builds of 2010.02.

I don't know the cause of the issue with 2010.02 - it won't finish booting and
my knowledge of OpenSolaris isn't sufficient to find out what is going wrong.

Prior to 2009.06, the issue was
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6764179 (but you
could work around it, by booting in 32bit mode).
In SNV116 a further change was committed,
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6773433.  I
speculate that this is the cause of my boot problems. I'll be posting shortly
to try and find out how to find out what is causing my problems.

I haven't had problems with the inbuilt NIC, at least not since 2008.05.