>[...]
> my own *nix machine for a couple of years. I
> regularly build machines from parts and an assortment
> of corpses found in the workshop. I'm familiar with
> OS's and hardware from user level right down to the
> bare metal. But I don't do this every day, and I have
> [...]

I have a few tips:

1) Forget 32bit systems, including the powerful last generation 32bit Xeon; zfs
limits the pool size to something around 1TB on 32bit.

2) Forget Sun Sparc, several missing features, only serial port console, no
graphics on Sun FB cards.

3) I tried OpenSolaris on several Opteron first generation systems and all
worked fine. Motherboards used: Arima HDAMA, Arima HDAMB (this one surprisingly
works also with dual core processors, but it is best to use the HE versions,
low power), Iwill DK8. I never had a Tyan, but I believe that most would work.

4) When I last used SCSI there wasn't a 64bit Adaptec driver. I do not know
with the latest release, so be aware.

5) Fibre Channel for Qlogic works like a charm

6) SATA silicon is OK as JBOD, I haven't tried the RAID mode, but with ZFS that
is not recommended.

7) Opteron AMD PowerNow! frequency scaling does not work, which is a real pain
in the neck, I hope that this will be fixed in future releases. So much for
global warming, looks like the americans still do not care.

8) Graphic cards may need some manual /etc/X11/xorg.conf tweaking, server
motherboards have usually embedded ATI Rage, which is picked up at 800x600 only
which is limiting, and there is no way to make it go to any higher resolution
with the GUI.

9) If you have more than one physical box, forget sharing one keyboard, mouse
and video with a KVM switch, or even forget disconnetting the PS2 mouse by
mistake! If you do, you will loose control of the mouse until next REBOOT!
(This is GROSS isn't it?)