UNIX admin wrote:
> OpenSolaris will never make it to the top of the food chain because it has
> severe architectural issues, starting with the software management subsystem,
> continuing with breaking compatibility with Solaris, and causing tremendous
> engineering and software development effort for third party ISVs, of which I
> am one.

There are few compatibility breaks that affect ISV's - what is breaking your
software?

> I dislike that fact that default is GNU.

For the one user created by the installer on the local system for the benefit
of places that don't already have all their user accounts set up in LDAP or NIS,
and only until that user creates a .profile or .cshrc with their own custom
$PATH.

> I dislike the fact that root's shell is /bin/bash.

Then don't change it to bash - OpenSolaris doesn't ship that way.

> I dislike the fact that the hundreds of System V packages we toiled so hard
> for are now worthless, all that automation - worthless, all that system
> engineering - worthless, because someone thought that Solaris should be "hip".

How are they worthless?   They all install fine, since compatibility was kept
with the System V packaging system.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersm...@sun.com