UNIX admin wrote:
> Agreed, and you're right. Perhaps you might answer me this:
>
> 1. SX:CE, the closest one has ever come to Solaris 11, is being killed

But the next release of Solaris will use the new packaging systems and
installers, so SXCE is farther from Solaris 11 than OpenSolaris is.

> 2. it has been stated on more than one occasion, that OpenSolaris the
> distribution is the way forward.
>
> But with OpenSolaris
>
> a) being radically different

"Radically"?   It's a different packaging system and installer, and a few
default preferences different - something like 99% of the binaries are
bit-for-bit identical.   (Assuming you don't count the ones like Xsun & CDE
that aren't in both.)

> what do you believe, or what is your personal vision of what will replace
> Solaris 10 in the enterprise space?

I believe the next version of Solaris will be based on the code you see today
in OpenSolaris, with a lot more work done to complete the new features that
are still in development.

> With SX:CE, the ISVs like myself have at least had a chance to test our
> software and prepare for the future, and be ready for Solaris 11 (such as it
> was until now); now, with the decision to kill SX:CE, the very ground we
> stand on is being pulled from underneath us!

That's exactly what OpenSolaris gives you today - a chance to test your
software and prepare for the future and be ready for Solaris 11.  It's
closer to that future than SX:CE is, and ending SX:CE simply stops you
from wasting your time on dealing with the things that are known not to
be part of the next Solaris enterprise release.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersm...@sun.com