Volker A. Brandt wrote:
> Shawn Walker writes:
>> Volker A. Brandt wrote:
>>> Yes, Sun has made two big mistakes:  Implementing IPS in Python, and
>>> ditching scripting capability in the packages.  I'm sure these seemed
>> I continue to see assertions that pkg(5) should not have been written in
>> python with little justification for this claim.
>
> Hmmm... I will readily admit that you're working on fixing the
> performance issues, and improving overall efficiency, so the situation
> is better now than it was when pkg(5) was first released into the wild.
>
> However, there is also the fact that Sun had already committed to
> a scripting language, Perl.  There was a statement that Perl was a core
> part of Solaris and would always be present on the miniroot. (I am
> not saying that Perl would be markedly faster here.)

And there can be only one?   Doesn't that mean perl was also a mistake since
Sun had already committed to sh as a scripting language available on the
miniroot?   (Just taking your argument to its logical conclusion - I'm a heavy
perl user myself, so think both perl & python have their place in the core OS.)

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersm...@sun.com