> I would think that by keeping state somewhere, either via SMF properties
> or something else, you can record that you've "initialized" your package
> already and so in the SMF methods you would check the state before
> performing any action.

I was thinking the same thing.  However, several questions remain in my mind:

how do I "signal" the SMF method that my package is being removed?

What about SMF overload? Every package would have to have a lingering method...
and I have hundreds of such packages; customers where I worked have thousands.

Can you imagine all those lingering methods in the output of svcs -a? They don't
do anything until package removal, but they have to be there. It'd be an SMF
"overload".

It would be a mess. It's not an elegant solution.