they are mostly for the developer's benefit, from the old flag days web page

Flag day messages are sent when action is required on the part of at
least some of the recipients. Examples include:

    * putbacks where a kernel-userland communication protocol changed,
and both kernel and userland need to be updated synchronously. BFU
does this automatically, so only people who install a subset of ON
(using cap-eye Install or some other means) will usually need to pay
attention;
    * putbacks where the build structure has changed. Sometimes this
is as simple as something that breaks incremental builds, but not a
full build, but sometimes a valid putback can break a full build, and
developers need to watch out;
    * putbacks requiring a developer or build machine maintainer to
update packages from another consolidation on the build machine, such
as libxml2, before ON will continue to build or run. Sometimes the
dependency is in the other direction, where another consolidation
depends on less-than-Committed interfaces in ON, and will need to be
updated before they will build or run.
    * putbacks requiring an updated version of the build tools.
Sometimes this can simply be remedied by including -t in
NIGHTLY_OPTIONS, but in the case of changes to nightly itself, will
require SUNWonbld to be reinstalled;
    * putbacks requiring special care in resolving conflicts after
BFUing archives containing the changes. These are much less frequent
now after the introduction of acr.