Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

Here's how I interpret all of this:  I think they're shifting some
percentage of developers from opensolaris to solaris.  Instead of letting
opensolaris lead the way, and "trickle down" with open source contributions
to solaris ... Solaris will lead the way, and contributions will trickle
down to opensolaris, sometimes closed source.

It's rather difficult for stuff to trickle up hill. OpenSolaris is a long way ahead of Solaris and things will continue that way at least until Solaris Next.

More likely the OS development will remain as is and it will be the value add features that will be closed.

But the good news is:  Development efforts and valuable contributions
continue for both.  Hopefully they'll start by taking all the ways
opensolaris is more advanced than solaris ... and incorporate them into
solaris.

Hasn't that always been the plan? Solaris Next will be based on OpenSolaris.

--
Ian.