Your question is probably better asked on the mailing list dedicated to
IPS at least until the issue is root caused.  I've cc'ed that list and
Bcc'ed opensolaris-discuss.

I have tried on both b133 and b134 to install Sun Studio 12u1,
Netbeans, Openoffice, and to do a system update. I am using a Intel
wireless card, the driver loaded is the wpi driver. My signal strength
is always 81% to 95% in the connection properties. I have set
PKG_CLIENT_TIMEOUT to a ludicrous 500 and still I am given the same
error:

Please check the network connection.  Is the repository accessible?

1:Framework error code: 28 reason: Operation too slow. Less than 1024
bytes/sec transferred the last 30 seconds.

I have had this problem with every version of OpenSolaris I have used
on this machine 2009.06 to the recent build 134 and in Virtualbox 3.1.4
installed on a Mac Book Pro with Mac OS X 10.6.2.

Can you provide details on which repositories you're accessing?  "pkg
publisher" will provide those details.