On 03/22/10 04:19 PM, Aidan Lawn wrote:
I just found this out, I don't know if it was announced or not but its news to
me.
The official license can be read here:

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/popup.jsp?info=17

The key bit is:

Please remember, your right to use Solaris acquired as a download is limited to
a trial of 90 days, unless you acquire a service contract for the downloaded
Software.

This isn't the place to discuss Solaris 10 licensing. This topic has been discussed on comp.unix.solaris yesterday.

Does anyone know when this changed? I just deployed two Solaris 10 servers with
the plan of only applying the free patches. I'm now planning to rebuild when
opensolaris 2010.03 is released as this project was scoped with no license
costs.

If the servers are doing something worthwhile, it's folly not to have at least minimum software support.

--
Ian.