On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Svein Skogen <sv...@stillbilde.net> wrote:
> On 26.03.2010 19:27, Ken Gunderson wrote:
>> Having familiarity with Linux, *BSD, and HP-UX over the years, and
>> Open/Solaris more recently, my take is that Open/Solaris IS
>> technologically superior.  I have no experience with AIX so cannot
>> comment.
>
> Having had experience with all of the above (including what should be
> pronounced aches and h-pukes), with a sprinkle of Irix and windows, I
> can say that I find Solaris the ... least broken of the non-FreeBSD OS'es.
>
> //Svein

Having supported Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, *BSD, Linux, Irix, QNX, and
Windows, I can say that I find Solaris to be, hands down, the most
sane, stable, secure and supportable of all of them. I'd say the same
holds true for Sun hardware (particularly SPARC) over the other
vendors as well.

Or at least I would have said that before Oracle bought them. We'll
see how things shake out in the next 6-12 months, but right now it
doesn't look good.

fpsm