>Saw someone in opensolaris-help having trouble building syslog-ng,
>and it got me to wondering why that hasn't been integrated (perhaps
>with any changes needed to support doors rather than a Unix domain
>socket for local communication).
>
>AFAIK, the existing syslog has a lot less functionality.  Aside from
>using doors for local communication, does it have any _more_ functionality
>than syslog-ng?

syslog does not use doors to log messages; it uses the door to find out
whether syslog is still up and running.  It logs the messages in some
stream device.  (/dev/sysmsg or some such).

Clearly syslog-ng needs to be able to pick up such messages *and* create a
door where it can say "yes, I'm still running".

Casper