>casper....@sun.com wrote:
>> Clearly syslog-ng needs to be able to pick up such messages *and* create a
>> door where it can say "yes, I'm still running".
>
>Wouldn't it be better to use SMF for that now instead of a custom door
>solution for just that one service?

Considering that we need to call that door *every time* we log a message,
wouldn't that be *really* expensive?  I'm afraid that will pull in a few
extra libraries into libc.

The current code is broken:

        /* output the message to the local logger */
        if ((putmsg(LogFile, &ctl, &dat, 0) >= 0) && syslogd_ok())
                return;
        if (!(LogStat & LOG_CONS))
                return;

The call to syslogd_ok() should be done *after* checking that LOG_CONS is
set and the putmsg() failed.

Casper