On 04/13/10 10:26 AM, bsd wrote:
I searched for xorg.conf system-wide but it wasn't found.

It won't be there until you create it.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 laptop but it isn't nvidia.  Using the
preferences>display to set it.  I prefer the external to be to the left of the
LVDS (laptop) display, but get that message.

I want two screens so I have more work area, but not cloned or mirrored, but
just an extension.  It seems to work if the laptop display is above the
external display, but trying to put the external to the left gives the error
message.
You want something like:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    Screen      1  "Screen1" leftOf "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

along with Screen and Monitor sections to identify you displays in your xorg.conf.

I can send you mine if it helps.

--
Ian.