> We've been talking with both our Sun salesman and HP.
> It appears that support for Sun hardware will be
> priced at 12% of net purchase price (i.e. after
> discount) for both hardware and software support, and
> 8% for just software. There will be only one class or
> service, namely high class. We don't think there will
> be a way to keep running it on older systems and just
> get security updates, for a lower price.
>
> As for non-Sun hardware, we're being told it is still
> possible to get support for Soarlis 10u8 and older,
> but all problems will have to be duplicated on Sun
> hardware. It is not possible to get support for later
> releases.
>
> HP has a contract to support Solaris for HP systems.
> Sun has cancelled that contract, but for the next 3
> years you'll still be able to get support from HP. I
> haven't talked with Dell, but since Dell also sold
> hardware with Solaris, I'd expect something similar
> for them.
>
> This all concerns me, as the net effect is to move
> Solaris from a mainstream OS to the equivalent of
> HP-UX. It's still a fine OS, which has some things we
> like. We may still use it one a couple of machines,
> at least for a year or two. Our administrative folks
> may continue using it for the forseeable future for
> their large systems. But we see a lot of Solaris
> usage moving to Linux. This may be just fine with
> Oracle, as historically they have been interested in
> high end business, and it looks like that will
> continue. 12% of net purchase for hardware and
> software with good response time isn't such a bad
> deal for key servers. However personally I hate to
> see them restrict Solaris to systems with high-end
> support needs, because I rather like Solaris and
> would like to use it more widely.
>
> I don't know anything specific about Opensolaris, but
> from what I know about Oracle, once they've decided
> to limit themselves to high-end business I doubt
> they'll make it easy for Opensolaris to take over the
> role they're shutting down for Solaris. Perhaps
> they're planning to move the low-end business that
> they're giving up for Solaris to OpenSolaris. But I
> think that's a long shot, and I think we would have
> heard something by now.
>
> Message was edited by: hedrick

  I  think since many business are moving away from HP-UX , Solaris ,etc over
to redhat linux and windows, .Oracle, once they finish intergrating SUN,  will
offer  solaris to the   low-end business  on sun units  to compete against
IBM, redhat, microsoft  directly and   OpenSolaris  will continue like Mr.
Roberts stated it will,  will end up being  the equivalent to Fedora.