On 2010-04-25 02:50, ken wrote:

On 04/24/2010 08:32 PM Robin Axelsson wrote:
But seriously, why do I need a (Fully Qualified) Domain Name for
every computer I want to run an SSH server on? That's outright
ridiculous!

I want to run SSHd on a server without a domain name. Under normal
circumstances a 'UseDNS no' entry in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config would
fix that problem but for some strange reason this feature is not
incorporated in the OSOL version of ssh.
As a workaround couldn't you put an entry in /etc/hosts?

I have fiddled with the /etc/hosts file (or actually the /etc/inet/hosts file) and found that adding an entry where the IP-address matches the host argument of the ssh command removes the delay when I log into the system from itself using the terminal; For example ssh u...@127.0.0.1 doesn't delay since there is an entry in the hosts file saying "127.0.0.1 opensolaris.local localhost loghost".

So if the DHCP server has given the computer the IP-address 129.1.2.3 I can add a "129.1.2.3 opensolaris.local localhost loghost" line in the hosts fole.

But that doesn't remove the delay when I log in from an outside terminal however, and the hosts file doesn't accept wildcards so it is quite useless when using DHCP negotiation for the system's network connection. So we're back on square on I'm afraid.

I read something about ZeroConf but I don't know how it is implemented in OSOL. It is a mystery to me why the UseDNS option is not implemented in the OSOL version of ssh.