On 2010-04-25 14:03, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
From: opensolaris-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:opensolaris-
discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Robin Axelsson

When I try to ssh to my server, it takes a long time before it asks for
a password (about a minute), and takes a long time to connect after the
password is entered.
I didn't even read below this.  And I'll tell you:

The server must be able to resolve the client IP address to some sort of DNS
name.
Try creating an entry for your client in the server's /etc/hosts file.  (And
make sure "files" is listed first on the "hosts" line of /etc/nsswitch.conf)

Now I know how it works! So the line

hosts: file dns

in the /etc/nsswitch.conf tells the system to first look up whether the IP-address is on the local "guest list" and then look it up on the DNS. So I suppose I could remove the "dns" entry altogether and it will never query the IP addresses on the domain name server. Adding an entry for the remote client on the network I was ssh:ing from _and_ the server got rid of all delays.

But the problem remains that I will have to update the the hosts file every time a new negotiation with the DHCP server has taken place unless I resort to using static IP:s. Removing the dns entry would be tempting but I suspect that I would only want to remove it for ssh and not for other application that resolve host names on the DNS. Perhaps anyone knows more specifically what applications there are that relies on resolving host names so that I wouldn't be killing off something vital.