I forgot to say: I don't know what "face browser" means. If it is the feature that enables the possibility of "choosing" users at the login and/or poweroff/restart the the answer to this question is no.
- Robin.
On 2010-05-07 18:34, Brian Cameron wrote:

Robin:

According to the GDM debug output from /var/adm/messages that you
provided the login program is taking 13 seconds to start up.  This
does not seem an unusually long time for GDM to start up.

Also I do not see anything in the log which indicates that anything in
particular which is very slow.  There is a 3 second delay from 10:46:35
to 10:46:38 where gnome-session is starting for the login GUI (this
is normal) and a 2 second delay loading users from 10:46:42 to 10:46:44.

Do you have the face browser enabled in GDM or does it just ask you to
enter the username via the keyboard when it starts up?  If you do not
have the face browser enabled, then it should not bother loading
users.  If you do not have the face browser enabled, then this might be
a bug and an opportunity to speed GDM by perhaps 2 seconds.  Though if
you do have the face browser enabled, this is a normal delay.

The error messages in the 0-greeter.log.txt file you provided are normal
and do not indicate anything in particular that looks like it would make
GDM have poor performance.

Note that since OpenSolaris 09.06 the new GDM rewrite is used.  The
new GDM is a bit slower than the old GDM 2.20 which was delivered in
older versions of OpenSolaris.  The new GDM is a bit slower because it
loads more GNOME infrastructure when showing the login GUI (e.g.
metacity, gnome-settings-daemon, gnome-session).  While it is a bit
slower, the new GDM has much better a11y support due to sharing more of
the same infrastructure that the normal GNOME user sessions use.

I am sure there are opportunities to speed up the login screen, and
this is something we (and the upstream GDM community) are always
working to improve.  Unfortunately I don't see anything obvious that
indicates a performance problem with the data that you provided, though.

One additional thing you can check.  If you are seeing a 30 second delay
which isn't showing up in the logs, then I wonder if some program
started by gnome-session used with the login screen might be crashing.
If a program started by gnome-session crashes it will cause a delay and
would not show up in the GDM debug syslog output.

Normally core files are not generated by gdm system processes, but if
you configure coreadm like this:

     global core file pattern: /var/tmp/core-%f.%p
     global core file content: all
       init core file pattern: core
       init core file content: default
            global core dumps: enabled
       per-process core dumps: enabled
      global setid core dumps: enabled
 per-process setid core dumps: enabled
     global core dump logging: disabled

Then gdm processes will generate core files in /var/tmp named
"core-(program)-(pid)".  Refer to the coreadm man page to learn how
to configure coreadm as shown above.  Once configured, then you can
restart the login screen.  If you see any core files in /var/tmp after
you login when the performance is bad, then this would be an indication
that this might be the problem.

Brian

Oh, I forgot the other logs (the clock at the bottom right in the login
splash screen is frozen at 10:46 and jumps to 10:49 when the input text
field for username pops up).

I saw some complaints about missing files (module xtsol and fbdev
missing) in the Xorg log but otherwise it looks ok. But I don't know
much about Gnome and GDM so I'm note really at liberty to say.

The :0.log and the :0-greeter.log files found in /var/log/gdm showed
some errors which I believe is relevant but I'm unable to yield a proper
interpretation and fix the problem. They were easy to locate by looking
at the time stamps.

I attach them with this message.
- Robin.