On Monday 31 May 2010 04:10 AM, lance tan wrote:
I had exactly the same problem. My workaround is start the DNS server service.
No any configuration, just used the default. After then, there is no any
outgoing DNS query packet any more, and the login time reduced to less than one
second. Don't know exactly why, seems reverse dns lookup goes into the local
DNS server. The normal DNS lookup is not affected.
This was one of the use cases for diving into DTrace :)
The problem was 'slow ssh to login'. The problem was a misconfigured (wrong IP) address in /etc/resolv.conf If you are not using DNS, modify /etc/nsswitch.conf to not look for DNS for 'hosts'

-Siva