> > As a matter of fact (or coincidence?) I do have a
> laptop with 256mb of ram
> > and tried to boot Milax 0.5 just last weekend. It
> wouldn't boot due to
> > some issue with compression or uncompressing files.
> I think I tried it
> > with the vesa driver also, same error message.
> >
> > It's currently running Fedora11 lxde and Puppy
> linux (slaxer pup) so I
> > tried Milax just to see if it would work.
>
> OKay, thanks for the test. I think 1G memory is
> really the minimum these
> days on any server. Maybe 768M in a pinch.

Where I live, machines with less than 3GB memory are being retired. No new
server with less than 8GB is being ordered. The default workstation
configuration includes 12GB memory on a Core-i7 930. OpenSolaris runs perfectly
on a HPZ600 (24 threads, just 6GB at present...).

I still manage to hold on a few old bangers, running mostly NetBSD-current (and
even one Kayak with only 1GB memory, running Nevada-last...). This thread has
only academic interest nowadays. Hardware is cheap, you time is not.

> --
> Dennis Clarke
> dcla...@opensolaris.ca  <- Email related to the open
> source Solaris