Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
> A truly multithreaded
> X server would help though, so that xlsfonts -lll wouldn't be
> a DoS attack, but I expect that's a lot to ask.)

We'd be more likely to EOL the ancient core fonts, except for the
two required by the protocol.   There are very few things the X
server can do in multiple threads that take long enough to care
about and don't end up all waiting on the same lock for access to
the hardware.   If you really worry about having to protect the
X server from yourself, you can also change your font path to
redirect all legacy font accesses off to a font server, effectively
putting that code into an out-of-process separate thread.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersm...@oracle.com