> it's standard to allocate disk/ram/cpu/net resources
> in zones ... but what about video card output? or usb
> keyboard input?
> my larger goal is: create a 'poor mans'
> pseudo-sunray-like server/client setup using zones. i
> envision two, duel headed video cards (nvidia fx380)
> for a total of four distinct hd monitor output and
> four distinct usb keyboard inputs(with usb mouse
> attached to keyboard) all served up from my sun
> ultra27 running osol.20xx.xx. the idea is to leverage
> my available resources. essentially, i can turn one
> workstation into four, for the cost of just 3 more
> monitors and three more keyboards/mouse.
> as far as i can tell, this should be more efficient
> than a sunray setup, but would cost a few thousand
> less (per year).

Possible?  Maybe, with probably more work than just assigning
the devices to the zones.  Supported?  I very much doubt it.
Safe?  Even if I had suitable hardware, I might try it as
an experiment, but I don't think I'd want to run like that.
Video driver problems have AFAIK historically caused their
fair share of crashes, and zones aren't separate systems;
a crash knocks it all out.

I think it would be possible _without_ zones, and I'm not sure
that adding zones would buy you much.  Imagine an environment
with an NFS server containing home directories and multiple
workstations.  Each of them could see all the home directories,
regular Unix permissions would control access.

You can use resource controls on the default project for each
user (user._USERNAME_) to limit each user to a share of the
resources, without needing zones.

If I really wanted something like that, I'd try two-way without
zones first, and proceed from there.