> Dennis Clarke wrote:
>> Getting to b144 may be a challenge as I do not know what patch levels
>> are required or even what compiler to use.
>
> As always, it's documented on
> http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/downloads/on

That page is wrong. Or at least not entirely correct.
I built this :

$ uname -a
SunOS aequitas 5.11 snv_138 i86pc i386 i86pc

with this :

$ cc -V
cc: Sun C 5.10 SunOS_i386 Patch 142363-05 2010/04/28
usage: cc [ options] files.  Use 'cc -flags' for details

The nightly report was clean.

I went through this with various people and exchanged emails about it and
I'm tired of talking about it. The docs on the Oracle sites are wrong or
slightly wrong or slightly correct. I'm not going down that path again ..
I'm tired of it and I'm not going to file any more bug reports.

I'm sure that Jörg and I can figure it out and who knows, maybe even come
up with something that people can use with docs on a site that is
community based.

All the Xorg bits will come after the ON bits are building neatly.
Probably GCC can do that.

>> I will try with Sun Studio 12.1
>> with all latest patches. I have no idea why people use 12.1 when that
>> compiler is unable to build simple things like GNU make or libgcrypt
>> without blowing up on its own intermediate assembly[1] output but it
>> seems
>> able to build ON. My disdain for Studio 12.1 not withstanding it does
>> seem
>> to be the compiler to use.
>
> Not yet for building the OS.   Studio 12 is still required - we're testing
> a new patchset of Studio 12.1 now for building the OS and hope to be able
> to switch to it soon, but until then, the official build environment is
> still Studio 12 (except that ON uses lint, and only lint, from 12u1).
>
> http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+tools/sun_studio_12_tools
> has the set to use for now.

Well I'll be using 12.1 entirely for ON and see what happens.
Maybe it works. Maybe it fails.

I would be far happier at this point with a decent GCC but my Solaris
Application Dev books from Mr. Gove and the Solaris Internals books from
McDougall and Mauro et. al. tell me the Studio compilers are the way to
go. I do believe them even if it is somewhat mysterious, closed and
proprietary.

--
Dennis