ken mays wrote:
> See for ref:
> http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+tools/build_instr
>
> We were using GCC 3.x to compile ON snv_144 and the X consolidation. Still
> considered a the preferred method for the community members?

I don't think it's ever been preferred, just an option for those who could
not or did not want to use the Studio compilers.   It won't match the binaries
we build, test, and release.

> Also, I did remember a note about using GCC 4.x to build ON and the X
> consolidation as well in the future. Is this tested by anyone at Oracle
> Engineering?

We do not test building X with gcc 4.x - only the gcc 3.4.3 from SFW,
and that only for the portions that cannot be built with Sun Studio.
I would imagine X can be built with gcc 4.x due to upstream work, but
have never tested it.

I know some work was done on ON to fix gcc 4.x build issues so that the
Parfait static analyzer from Sun Labs could be run on the code, but don't
know of anyone testing a full build with actual gcc 4.x compilers.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersm...@oracle.com