On 07/21/10 10:00 AM, Jason wrote:
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Ian Collins<i...@ianshome.com>  wrote:
On 07/21/10 08:42 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
SMF was a good idea in 2004 and it did speed up things a lot. Today,
Solaris with SMF is slow compared to Linux. Do we need to throw away SMF?
I believe no, we rather need to work on the existing software to make it
readiy
for the future.
In what way is Solaris with SMF is slow compared to Linux?

I managed a large Linux based project and SMF would have made life so much
easier.

I've heard some rumblings (I haven't investigated this myself, so
consider it hearsay), that the booting time is still longer on Solaris
than Linux.  If I had to guess, it might be tied to either overly
restrictive dependencies, or simply too many for the current
implementation to handle quickly (assuming it's actually an SMF
issue).  ISTR there were a few services that seemed to be unusually
sluggish to start in a few builds, which could also be an impact.

There was some work done before in this area, if it's a big concern,
I'm sure some of the tools used for that could be used again to see
what's going on.  It's never been an issue with me, so I've never
looked into it a whole lot.

The biggest drag on (Open)Solaris booting is mounting ZFS filesystems.

As you say, getting dependencies wrong can cause services to delay things. But that is the fault of the service, not the process.

I lot of good work was done to start (and stop) services in parallel which made a huge difference to boot and shut-down times.

--
Ian.