Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersm...@oracle.com> wrote:

> The community edition can only be "fully GPL compliant" if the community
> rewrites the kernel, at which point it's really a new OS, not a community
> distro.   The community can't change the license terms for the code Oracle
> owns/releases from CDDL to GPL.

OK: You may have started a long thread this way.

The GPL is incompatible to any license except "public domain" and "public
domain"
is not permitted in all countries.

If you modify GPL code, you have to put all modifications under GPL.

Fortunately, you cannot declare other peoples code from unrelated projects to
be _your_ modifications and for this reason, combinations from code from
different works are done by creating a so called "collective work" that is
permitted by the GPL. At this level, the GPL is compatible to any license that
is not in complete conflict with the GPL by e.g. trying to forbid OSS at
all ;-)

If you don't believe me, read page 74 in the GPL book from the lawyer from
Harald Welte (gplviolations.org). That explains why there is no problem with
having more than independent work in the kernel address space:

        http://www.oreilly.de/german/freebooks/gplger/pdf/025-168.pdf

So it seems, there is no problem even with binray drivers that have a source
under GPL.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin