Dennis Clarke wrote:
>>   So, let's get positive here.  Where do we get started to form a
>> Community Distro, based on the latest sources including IPS.  Not a cut
>> down version, or replacing the userland (no offence there, that's good
>> work too), just a take on Solaris Next based on the latest available
>> bits.  We have Rich Lowe's work for starters, but I wouldn't know how to
>> take that and form a repository.  Can we talk about this and get
>> something started ?
>
> I have no love for that python disaster called IPS.
>
> I still use SVR4 packages that get released from Blastwave and those work
> for the most part. To hell with that issue at the moment.

Then your distro will be forked from the Oracle released sources and you'll
have created an extra hurdle for yourself to jump in recreating SVR4 package
prototypes since those are no longer present in the ON & X gates, and will
be removed from more of the source gates as more consolidations transition.

If others want to work on a distro that doesn't have that issue, they should
be free to do so.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersm...@oracle.com