> > >I think we all should put our foot down and
> support
> > illumos
> >
> > I couldn't find an install cd but I guess here's
> the
> > project build -
> >
> http://trochejen.blogspot.com/2010/08/illumos-building
>
> > -instructions.html -
>
> Well, and finally here's my original problem boiled
> down to two sentences:
>
> a) You (or at least I) don't really want a Linux
> distribution with a Solaris kernel
>
> b) There... is... no... Illumos... distribution!
> There never will be one, as it stands. Illumos is
> only the ON part to Solaris, bootable in the future
> if you're lucky. And there's a delta missing between
> ON and Indiana (aka OpenSolaris). Just as there is a
> delta between Indiana and full blown Solaris 10 /
> Solaris 11. Call it a niche product but it's
> something I personally find attractive to have
> something between both and am still searching.

well, from any practical standpoint, you have to wait for Solaris 11 Express
program, which is the most fitting answer to your question.

on the other hand, I also wonder how update/patch will be handled with Solaris
11 Express program since it will probably employ a longer release period than
Indiana, will there be a repo for security related patches? I am not worried
about Oracle being able to come up support scheme for entities with big $$,
rather I am concerned with how a mere individual like me can run Solaris 11
Express with security patches.. (with Indiana, it's just a matter of following
the latest build)

Cheers,
Ivan.