> >I think we all should put our foot down and support
> illumos
>
> I couldn't find an install cd but I guess here's the
> project build -
> http://trochejen.blogspot.com/2010/08/illumos-building
> -instructions.html -

Well, and finally here's my original problem boiled down to two sentences:

a) You (or at least I) don't really want a Linux distribution with a Solaris
kernel

b) There... is... no... Illumos... distribution! There never will be one, as it
stands. Illumos is only the ON part to Solaris, bootable in the future if
you're lucky. And there's a delta missing between ON and Indiana (aka
OpenSolaris). Just as there is a delta between Indiana and full blown Solaris
10 / Solaris 11. Call it a niche product but it's something I personally find
attractive to have something between both and am still searching.

So, ladies and gentlemen: where is the alternative?

Cheers
 Stefan