On Sep 26, 2010, at 2:31 AM, Orvar Korvar wrote:

> As IBM has officially stated that they are going to phase out AIX in favour
> of Linux, it probably makes sense to sell off POWER.

It's been seven years since they said they were going to discontinue AIX.
Regardless, I find it highly unlikely they'd want to do anything other than
spin off their CPU division in to a separate company a la Freescale. That, too,
seems highly unlikely since every video game console on the market right now is
running one or more IBM processors.

> x86 is catching up fast and within some generations, x86 will be faster than
> POWER. When that happens, IBM will probably sell of POWER, kill AIX and
> switch to Linux 100%.

And when pigs learn to fly, Santa will put his reindeer out to pasture to
become a swineherd. ;)

-Gary