Octave Orgeron <unixcons...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Well I don't think Xen is a good enough hypervisor anyways. I would rather
> see
> Oracle come up with something better. There are too many Xen implementations
> and
> not enough features to differentiate them other than GUI's. Even Red Hat has
> realized this and are pushing their KVM agenda.

Now, I'll be shortly much more educated on this subject, but last time
I looked, KVM simply wasn't up to the same load as Xen.  You can
easly drop 100+ guests on a 8 core/32GiB ram box with xen, and the problem
you hit is that sharing disk sucks.  my understanding is that
kvm falls over before that.

Anyhow, I just bought a (much smaller) competitor who does KVM, so
I'm about to get a crash course on how it fares in production.

And sadly when people talk about
> virtualization on x86, it's always a VMware discussion with Citrix Xen and MS
> Hyper-V looked at as oddball alternatives. Red Hat, Oracle, Novell, etc
> aren't
> even in the discussion.

If you talk about /enterprise/ virtualization, sure.   If you are trying
to consolidate 5 year old servers on to newer boxes and have a nigh
unlimited budget, your needs are rather different.  But if you talk about
the hosting market, "the cloud"  etc... open-source xen is the only
game in town.   I know of one serious competitor who uses KVM, and
they are japanese-only, so for all I know I'm mistranslating something.

ec2 uses xen, so does linode, slicehost, grockthis.net, and just about anyone
else you'd seriously consider hosting a production app on.  The second
most popular platform is OpenVZ (but really, I say that's a different market
and should be treated as such.)

--
Luke S. Crawford
http://prgmr.com/xen/         -   Hosting for the technically adept