> > -Install free esxi on a local Raid-1  (local
> datastor)
>
> These are the local boot disks of the physical
> server, right?

yes.
we use a separate raid-controller for esxi (adaptec with hotfix)
or a raidsonic hardware raid enclosure (2x2,5" raid-1 -> sata)

> > -Assign SAS Controller + all other Disks via
> Passthrough to OpenIndiana or
> > -Nexenta*
> > to have full ZFS-disk control (tested with LSI
> 1068e or 2008 controller)
>
> I would be reluctant to do this.  Is this stable?

Yes
i would say its as stable as a single VMware-Server with a
additional single SAN-Server, even more stable due to having
less cables and only one Hardware that can fail.

About two years ago we  (university use) replaced our Hyper-v
installations with 4 VMware esxi systems, each with its own
NFS SAN-Storageserver (Nexentastor2), directly connected via 10GB CX4
and connected to the others via a separate 10GB SAN-Network
to have redundancy and to connect the backup-systems.

Last year, we virtualized the Storage-Server part in one of the systems
with esxi 4.0 and NexentaCore2 + my napp-it web-gui. it was faster
than the former 2 Server setting and as stable.

In February, we replaced the second paired-system with esxi 4.1
and integrated NexentaCore3 and its running since then without problem.
(mostly Windows 2003/ 2008 Server, 4-6 VM's on each system).

We will also replace the last two systems within the next weeks.
This reduce our Hardware from 4 VMware + 4 SAN Storage-Server (8 Server)
to 4 x All-In-One (+additional Backup Systems).

> > You need a USV and must start the Storage-Server
> first, the others with a
> > delay.
>
> Well, a UPS is necessary for every production system.
> :-)
> Do you have something like a global start script to
> time the delay?

not needed, you can set the boot-order and delay within
free vsphere management tool. (the whole software stack is
free software)

Gea