> I read the license several times, but, shame-on-me, I
> think it is EXACTLY what it should be (and actually
> what it should have been).
>
> Sun was trying to play a nice guy, but failed
> miserably.  That has affected not only Sun and Sun's
> shareholders, but also many of Sun's career
> employees.  Of course Oracle could be a little bit
> more open, but pendulum swings.

And does as much damage in one extreme as in the other.
Although I must admit that my preference excludes the
half of the swing where all the control freaks would be happiest.

I really don't think that Sun's problems came from giving away
too much software or source code, nor from having choices
of maintenance contract other than Super Platinum Deluxe
Buy Our Entire Stack Or Get Screwed.  Their problems were
in sales that rewarded volume over profit (reward sales at a loss?
what sort of nuts is that?), marketing that didn't manage to
communicate the value of their product range, and too frequent
slippage of SPARC CPU designs.  Their pendulum also swung, from
workstations to huge servers.  Maybe Oracle is doing something
right there, doing more with the T series CPUs in the future.
But they've got to learn that everyone with any money to spend
is a customer, not just Fortune 500; that computer is a
general purpose device and not just something to sell their
database and middleware; and that even people with no money
to spend now may well control plenty of money in a few years.
Make your entire lineup work well together, sure.  But don't
make it prohibitive to only use part of that lineup.  If I want
to run Postgres on Solaris x86 on a homebrew system, what's it
to them, as long as I don't need extra chipsets supported to make
it work?  An OS-only, online update+reference info only (no
assurance of specific response by actual persons) license and
software support contract should be available, and in low three
digits of $$ for two sockets or less.

M$ and DeadRat are the enemy, and Solaris needs to be obviously
cheaper to run (esp. since bodies that know Solaris aren't cheaper).