> An OS-only, online update+reference info only (no
> assurance of specific response by actual persons) license and
> software support contract should be available

Yes and yes. I even could then spend my own money to run Solaris at work. I am
serious. I am administering a web server at a university, and my organization
would never pay $1K yearly for allowing this thing just run. I dislike Linux,
and I find FreeBSD too labor-consuming to administer (I have not learned yet
all it's command-line spells; I'm in the dark with FreeBSD). (Open)Solaris is
the proper OS for a server, and I could pay my own money to have a pleasure
knowing that I have a proper server.

There are countries where sysadmin's yearly salary is less than current price
for Solaris support contract. It's a shame to say so, but I am in one of them.

- Dmitry.